Monday, September 3, 2007

The Bad, The Ugly and The Good

Well, I started a blog thinking that I would have nothing to write about. Apparently, after this last week, I have plenty to write about. I just wish that some of these events would not have happened. I guess sometimes you get what you ask for, just not the way you wanted it. As the cliche goes, "the good, the bad and the ugly" is the best way to sum up this week. Since I am a bit of an optimist, I am going to end with "the good" and begin my journey of this week with "The Bad".

Dustin and I both graduated from the University of Utah and in the midst of trying to keep up with Dustin and the in laws, I have become a huge fan of University of Utah football. I love my in laws dearly, but as anyone close to me knows, if you don't know anything about football, you are going to be an outsider in a lot of conversations. While trying to learn and soak in as much as I could about football, I actually began to love football and I am so glad that it has become such a big part of my life and it is something that Dustin and I enjoy together. As many of you know, Dustin's brother plays for the U Football team. Since it is his senior year, and since Dustin and I are in "DINC" status we have decided to hit all of the games, home and away (except for one). Thursday we made the trip to Oregon to watch the U play Oregon State in Corvallis.

The beginning of the trip was definitely an adventure. I made a trade with one of my neighbors and she hooked us up with two buddy passes for the airlines. Dustin and I clearly were not thinking straight and we decided to use those for our trip to Oregon. One word of caution, if you have to get somewhere by a certain time, I would recommend NOT trying the stand by status especially if (bless his heart) you have a stressed out and slightly impatient husband. Anyway, by the time we were checking in, the flight that had originally "looked good" was actually full. Dustin was pacing (as he tends to do in stressful situations) and calling other airlines trying to get on another flight or another airline. Everything except for one flight was booked. We were flying into Portland and then we had to drive 1 1/2 hours to Corvallis. The flight (we would have to pay a lot of money for) would get us in at 4:30 and then we would have to drive to be to the game which started at 7pm. 10 minutes before the flight took off, they were able to get us into the last two seats, however we had a layover in Boise and it wasn't looking good for the second leg, but we were willing to take our chances. Of course by the time we got to Boise, we got kicked off the plane because there was not enough room for us on the flight to Portland. Our next option was to fly to Reno and then Portland. Long story short, we weren't having much luck so we bought tickets from Boise to Portland.

Dustin's parents graciously waited for us and we drove together to Corvallis. It really started out as a great game and we were sure it was going to be a good one. The two positions that were very critical this season were our running back and quarterback positions. If all went well, with these two players, everything was going to be just great! Then halfway into the first quarter, our starting running back broke his tibia - out for the season. What are the chances of that? After that injury that certainly hurt us (and poor Asiata) we still remained strong. Then as we are approaching halftime, the score was tied 7-7, and our starting Quarterback, went down with a separated shoulder. He'll be out for at least 4-5 weeks. Long story short, the second half was a completely different game and we lost 24-7. My heart just broke for the team. After the game, you could just see the sadness and disappointment in their eyes. It's one thing when you lose a game. It's another thing when after the first game you have 3 teammates out for the year and your quarterback out for half of it.

It was a long drive back to Corvallis (at 1 in the morning). And knowing that we were getting up at 5:30am and trying to do the standby thing again, certainly didn't help matters. When we checked into the airport the next morning, the flight was oversold by 3. We were exhausted, but at least we didn't need to be anywhere by a certain time. At the very last second after the doors had closed, they had one seat left. Dustin rushed me up to the desk and onto the airplane, I didn't want to leave him behind. But being the gentleman that he is, he explained to me that he spends a lot of time in airports and that he would be just fine, not to mention the fact that he was a lot more aggressive than me and he would have a lot easier time getting on a flight than me. He was probably right about that. As I was walking down the ramp just devastated I was leaving Dustin behind, I stepped on the plane and then I heard, "I made it, I made it!" I turn around as Dustin sprints down the ramp to airplane. I was ecstatic! I didn't have to worry about him spending the day in the airport and we were able to just get home to our sweet puppy and relax. It may have been a rough 24 hours, but it was all worth it.

No comments: