Monday, September 10, 2007

Twilight

I always seem to be slightly behind the curve when it comes to new fashions or new anything for that matter. When my friend stopped pegging her pants, I thought she was crazy. When capris came out, I said that I would never be caught dead wearing those. Eventually I stopped pegging my pants I am not sure where my current wardrobe would be without capris. The same goes for books. I never read the Harry Potter books. I am sure I will eventually, but I haven’t as of yet. However I kept hearing about a book called “Twilight” that was the first of a 3 soon to be 4 book series. It seemed to be the new thing and finally a girl from my work talked me into reading it so I decided to give it a go. I am also not one of those people who can read a 500 page book in a day (or even a couple of days for that matter). I think I’m just a slow reader. But after a little bit of reading on Friday night and little bit on Saturday night, I could not put the book down on Sunday and voila, I finished it! I am not going to give away any big parts of the book, just some concepts so if you don’t want to know anything and you just want to read the book then stop reading the rest of this entry. If you are curious or if you have read the book and want to hear my "high level" thoughts, here I go.

Twilight was written by an LDS (Mormon) author, Stephanie Meyers. The book is pretty much about a girl (human) who falls in love with a vampire. I was never into the Ann Rice novels, but with all of the hype, I thought that I would give this book a chance. As I started the book and began reading, I thought that this was kind of a dark book for somebody with the author’s background. But as I continued to read, there were so many concepts that intrigued me. Her style of writing is captivating. The pictures that she draws with her writing make you feel that you are right there in the midst of everything. The passion between Bella (the girl) and Edward (the vampire) is electrifying. I had to put the book down a couple of times because I was a little flushed and yet there is an innocence to it all. There is also intensity that grips you to the point that you are unable to put the book down and to the point that you can’t turn the pages fast enough. All of this was centered on temptation, unconditional and sacrificial love, family, trust and the concept of forever. I would love to read it again because I am sure that there was so much that I missed. But without giving away too much for those of you who haven’t read it, this book took me on an emotional roller coaster, but in a good way.

I am fairly easy to please when it comes to a romance novel, so maybe others wouldn’t feel as strongly about the book as I do, but I loved every aspect that this novel had to offer and I would recommend it to anyone. Although I am not sure how much interest the male species would have in this type of book… But as for a woman, even if you are completely against the LDS religion, you will not find anything “Mormon” about it. However if you are LDS, you will be able to read into the concepts that I listed above. If you want to share any of your experiences with reading this book, please feel free to comment. I would love to hear anything that anybody has to share. I am giving the book to April today, but if anyone would like to borrow it after her, just let me know!

4 comments:

Lizzy said...

I have heard that book is amazing! I need to read it when I am finished with my book. I love a good book!

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Hey there-
just wanted to say hi (even though you called me a party pooper)....thanks for stopping by my blog.
And I have not jumped on the Twilight bandwagon though it has been on every (especially LDS) blog out there. Shame on me I guess....someday.

Amy Christine said...

I just finished the 2nd book in the series (New Moon). I had heard it wasn't as good as the first, but I actually liked it better. Can't wait to read the 3rd!

P.S. Get thyself to a bookstore and buy Harry Potter, for crying out loud! You'll love them all!

AP said...

Amen on the Harry Potter comment, Amy. Really Jam--you're going to love them!