Friday, September 28, 2007

Dinner Club - Italian Style

A few months back a few of us girls that live in the same neighborhood wanted to start a monthly girls night out. I love food and it's always fun to get together with the girls and meet some new people, so I suggested a Dinner Club. When I told my mom and dad about it, I found out that they had actually been a part of one and they loved it. They also gave me some great ideas in how to organize it and I found all sorts of ideas for themes online. We've been doing it for about 8 months and it has been so much fun! I think that we all look forward to it every month and the food is always so good!

Last nights theme was Italian. We had Lasagna, Olive Garden Salad, Homemade Meatballs, Baked Tortellini, Fresh Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream and to top it off, Tiramisu! In fact, talking about it right now really makes me want
to go eat it all again! I made the Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream. After I heard that we were having Lasagna, Tortellini and Meatballs, I decided to lighten it up a little. Dustin and I went to Italy last year and we took a cooking class while we were in Panzano (Tuscany). We learned how to make fresh pasta, tiramisu and pesto... it was awesome! Unfortunately due to my time restrictions this week, I had to make something with limited time. Here is my recipe for the Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream. This would work great as a dessert, side dish or even for a brunch or breakfast.

Fresh Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream
Recipe from Giada de Laurentiis (Everyday Italian)

1/3 C Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese 1/2 Dry Pint Fresh Raspberries (2 ½ C)
2 T plus 1/3 C Whipping Cream 1 T Sugar
3 T Powdered Sugar 1 T Fresh Lemon Juice
Pinch Ground Cinnamon 2 Kiwis, peeled cut into ½ in pieces12 oz. Fresh Strawberries, hulled, quartered (2 ½ C) 3 T Almonds, sliced and toasted

Stir the ricotta and 2 T of cream in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/3 C of cream, powdered sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl until semi-firm peaks form. Fold the ricotta into the whipped cream. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to stiffen a yield a creamier filling (very important, I didn't let it sit long enough). (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate).

Toss the strawberries, raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl to combine. Let stand until juices form, tossing occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the kiwi.

Spoon the fruit mixture into 4 dessert bowls. Dollop the ricotta cream atop the fruit. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve. Can serve in serving or water glasses.

Yield: 4 servings

No comments: