Monday, September 24, 2007

New Moon

So I just read book # 2 in the Stephanie Meyers series - "New Moon". WOW! I was a little disappointed when prior to reading this book, I had heard that Edward was only in half of this book. Actually, I think that it was less than half, but because of what happens in the book, there was a need to develop another character. I don't know if I loved this book more than the first one except for one chunk of it that was my absolute favorite part, but I am sure that it has set up the next two books beautifully. I cannot wait to dive into Eclipse, however, since this is the last one until her new book comes out next Fall, I have decided to wait a couple of weeks so that I can feel the anticipation of it and have the opportunity to read it all in one or two sittings.

My friend April wrote in her blog about Harry vs. Edward. (Harry from Harry Potter and Edward from the Twilight series). As I said before, I have never read Harry Potter, I have only seen one or two of the movies, but to me there is no way that there can be any comparison. I am probably the epitome of a "hopeless romantic". When I was younger, I would dream and fantasize about my future prince charming(aka husband)and how it would be this utterly romantic way in which we met and we would have the fairy tale marriage and this fairy tale life. I have had some learning and growing experiences since then and realize that a true fairly tale wasn't exactly how I had previously envisioned it. I love my husband dearly and I would not wish for anything in our lives to be different. I am truly blessed to have someone love me as much as he does and I feel the same towards him.

So back to Edward. Let me start off by saying that I have a bit of a crush on Edward (don't worry, I've already informed Dustin). And yes, I know that Edward is a fictional character and a vampire, but the love he has for Bella is so beautiful to read about and it is so easy to identify with. He is this tough, butt-kicking vampire and yet with Bella he is soft and sweet and sensitive. He will protect her in any way that he can whether that is fighting somebody for her or sacrificing his life. Meyers is a beautiful writer. When I read these books, especially the scenes between Bella and Edward, I feel like I am there. In fact there are even times when I can almost feel what the characters are feeling. I know that may sound really strange, but I truly do. To me, anyone who reads this book can't help but see the beauty of this love, isn't that what we are looking for? Somebody to love us? Not just love us but that true, everlasting, passionate, can't live without, sacrificial kind of love? Edward may not be your cup of tea but he has many of the characteristics that anybody looking for love would want. If you have been lucky enough to find that kind of love, aren't you happy when you see somebody else experience it? There is truly nothing better than that.

I would say that many of my favorite fictional books are romance novels (love Nicholas Sparks). My favorite Disney movie is "Cinderella" and 3 of my favorite movies are "Pretty Woman", "Sleepless in Seattle" and "City of Angels". So does that give you some perspective? To me there is nothing more beautiful than a touching love story. Again, this is coming from a hopeless romantic who cries at any touching moment. So I guess to sum it up, if you are all about romance, you will absolutely love this series (at least what I have read thus far). However, if love stories aren't really your thing, you will probably be much more satisfied with Harry Potter. I am so grateful for these beautiful books and for the opportunity to escape into another world and be touched in ways only a special book can do justice.

No comments: