Monday, January 21, 2008

Greatest Snow On Earth


What a winter. It seems like it's been winter for too long already. I remember going to the Utah/Utah State game in September during a freezing snowy day. Now, it's near the end of January, and winter is only half over.
I don't know how many out there aren't football fans (if you're not, you're just not watching a game long enough), but watching the two conference championship games made my bones hurt. I couldn't imagine playing in sub-zero temperatures like they did in New England and Green Bay yesterday. When you play in weather that cold, it just intensifies the pain you feel. It's hard to justify how much professional athletes get paid - but I'd have to say that they earn every cent of their paychecks during January.

Well, last night we went to bed, and it seemed that the weather was warming up a bit. The snow was mostly melted from the driveway. I had started to run a little at night. Well, I woke up this morning for my early morning meeting, and there was about six inches outside with plenty more to come. But what I loved about the snow was that it was pure Utah snow. We busted out the shovel - but I could have removed the snow with a broom. It was so light and powdery. That's why Utah has the best skiing in the U.S. - hands down. I've been to Colorado. I've been to Wyoming. They may have great terrain - but their snow doesn't even compete. And there's nowhere like Salt Lake, where you can get to your choice of nine world class resorts within a 45 minute drive. Now, I just need to get up there to ski a bit more. Attached are some pictures of the 12 inches that finally fell at my house when it was all said in done.




One more fun thing. I guess the Salt Lake Tribune was doing another article on my brother Steve about his chances of going to the NFL. There were some recent mock drafts projecting him to be a fifth round draft pick (http://www.nfldraftsite.com/). Well, he told me about it, but I didn't think much of it (Jamie and I have almost become immune to the news as he's kind of a media slut), and had even forgotten about it.

Well, he called me last night to remind me to read it (which he never does). So, I went to the website to read it (http://www.sltrib.com//ci_8025907?IADID), and it was what I expected . . . except for the second to last paragraph where it mentions that he and Savanah are expecting their second child. WHAT? That was news to me. I guess they've known for more than two months, but this was how they decided to break the news. So - my little brother who is six years younger - will have two kids before we have one. Who'da thunk?

No comments: