Sunday, June 1, 2008

Summer time

Jamie and I decided that a week was long enough for a post discussing the not-so-fun stuff. But we also wanted to provide a quick update regarding any news since the seizure.

This last week we went to a few more doctors appointments and we have another one tomorrow. But, the neurologist said it best: "We have no idea why you had the seizure and we'll probably never know." It was pretty much that vague. He said that he could give her medication, but didn't need to, and that it was up to us. While not knowing anything new can be frustrating, he told us that he feels optimistic. About 50% of adults who have seizures never have a second one. I'm hoping that's the cases with us. That was one of the scariest things I've ever been through.

The bad news is, though, is that Jamie definitely won't be able to drive (legally) for the next three months. We practiced me playing the chauffer thing this past week - and it's not much fun for either of us. We're already looking into the public transportation plans.

But there are some things to look forward to over the next three months. It's so green right now, and the weather was perfect this past weekend. I'm training for my first triathlon, and I've been trying to get ready for it. My swimming still sucks (I haven't had any success at getting Jamie to come train me), but I've been able to get back on the road bike - which is my new favorite past-time. And while I stink at running - I've gotten some good help from Quique, my dog. I can't come home without her begging me to take her on a run - so that's helped me stay on my training.

Embarrassingly, Jamie and I are kind of like the people on the movie "Best in Show" (If you're ever buying a shampoo sink go right to the Dutch. The French know nothing about shampooing). We may not quite as obsessed - but we're definitely guilty of humanizing her more than most dog-owners. But she's our kid, for the time being, and she's a great companion for us. One of Quique's favorite things to do (besides running and eating) is playing in the water.

I can't explain how crazy she is about the water without showing you, so I've uploaded a couple of clips to show her in the backyard. The first is with the gardening hose - and it's a sample of what it's like every time we water back there. The next one is with the sprinklers - showing why we only have the sprinklers come on at 3 am.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so glad to hear that the appointments went well.

I loved the videos of Quique. I laughed and laughed since Marley does the same thing. Jason will turn on the hose and she will do about 100 laps around the backyard chasing it. I took a video a few weeks. I'll need to post soon. They would be good pals. Gotta love those labs.

Love,
Heather

Lizzy said...

I love Quique, she makes us smile and laugh everytime she comes over! She is the happiest dog - with the best personality!