Monday, May 26, 2008

A First for Everything

Most people look upon their first time of doing or completing something with fondness, but as for my recent experience, not so much. In fact, I don't even remember it. Early Thursday morning, Dustin witnessed me experiencing my first seizure. Around 4:30am on Thursday I let out a high pitched scream. Dustin thought I was having a bad dream so he cuddled up to me to try and sooth me, but before he knew what was going on, I started gasping for air and then convulsing for the next couple of minutes with my eyes rolled back in my head and foaming at the mouth (not a pretty picture). Once the seizure ended, my eyes remained rolled back and my body was stiff as a board. I was unresponsive to Dustin. This freaked him out and he called 911. The first thing that I remember is waking up in my bedroom with 4 paramedics surrounding me. I overheard Dustin say something about a seizure to one of the paramedic. As one of the EMTs is taking my vitals, I ask "seizure, who had a seizure?" They asked me who the President of the US was and I was like "duh of course it's... I can't remember...". This really freaked Dustin out and he blurted out"who am I... who am I?" I of course knew who he was, but I couldn't remember what day it was and I certainly couldn't remember anything that Dustin had just witnessed.

I had another first as I took the ambulance to the hospital. After arriving at the hospital, I started to put together what day it was and some of the other details of my life that I had forgotten previously. I had a CT Scan and a few more tests run at the hospital, but nothing conclusive as to why I had just endured a seizure. After a couple of hours at the hospital, I was finally released to go home. Of course I had no idea what was going on when I left my home because I walked out of the hospital in my robe and no shoes. By this point, I was very aware of what I was wearing or shall I say lack of what I was wearing.
Yesterday I was catching up on the Season Finale of Grey's Anatomy and there was a guy that started seizing. I asked Dustin if that looked like me and he was like, yeah but worse and you were foaming at the mouth. Poor Dustin! I can't even imagine how awful that must have been for him. I would have been hysterical if the roles were reversed.

So it looks like I probably won't be able to drive for the next 3 months which is really going to be a pain, but I am thankful that I seem to be okay. I see a Neurologist on Wednesday which will hopefully clear up some of what happened, but from what I've read thus far, most seizure cases have no diagnosis and don't happen again or happen many years later. It certainly was a reminder of how blessed I am for all that I do have. This is so insignificant to things that are going on in other people's lives and I was reminded of just how blessed I was that Dustin was there and how truly wonderful my life is and how much I love and appreciate my family and my friends. My life could be a lot worse than it is and sometimes these crappy things have to happen to remind us of just how blessed we are.

Dustin snapping a shot during my EEG on Friday (another first).

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Craziness!! I am glad you are ok. If you need a taxi give me a jingle :)

Mark Robbins said...

Glad you are feeling better. That scared the crap out of me. I am glad that you have DT and Quique to keep you out of trouble.

Beckstrom Bunch said...

Oh my goodness...I am so sorry! What a scary thing. I'm glad you're doing okay now. If you need a ride anywhere I'm always around : )

Heather said...

I'm so, so sorry that you had to go through something so scary. Thank God that Dustin was right there with you. I'm thinking about you and send you all my love.

Lizzy said...

Jamie, you amaze me. Honestly, you always have such a good attitude, even when things are bad. I am so lucky to have a friend like you! I am so glad you are feeling better. Call me if you need anything!

AP said...

Let's make this first time the last time, OK?

Created by Sarah Robbins said...

I am really glad you are doing so much better.