Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Sister's Keeper

Has anyone read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult? It's a story about a 13 year old girl named Anna who has pretty much been a blood, cell, bone marrow, etc. donor for her older sister since the time she was born. In fact, she was conceived in a way to be a perfect match for her sister and since birth, she has been a donor for her sister. It's a story about choices, a story about love, a story about family, a story about courage and a story about sacrifice. The author does an excellent job of allowing you to see into the lives of each of these 7 characters by having 6 of them narrarate each of the chapters. It gives you an opportunity to see deep into their heart and how certain experiences have left such a deep impact in their lives and molded who they are at the time of this book.

I can honestly say that this is one of the deepest, pull at your hearstrings, constantly keeps you thinking book that I have read in a long time. Before even beginning the book, I thought how could parents allow this, how could you allow the quality of life for one daughter to diminish to save another daughter? But as I read through this story there were times when I was so critical and so mad and yet in the next chapter, I would be sympathizing and almost empathizing with with the same character. It is almost like an emotional roller coaster because you're mad, you're sad, you're touched, you may crack a smile and then you are moved in ways that you never thought possible. There are twists and turns that keep you going until the very end of the book. Just when you think you've got it figured out, something else gets thrown at you.

This would be a perfect book for a book club, because all I want to do right now is talk about it with someone. I also think that since I am not yet a mother, there would probably be a change in my views or outlook, if I was in fact a mother. I would love to read this book again when I was mother and could offer that true perspective.

I just found out that they are making this book into a movie which I think could be quite moving, if done right. Although I can honestly say that a movie never seems to live up to how great the book is, but if you're looking for something to read and you're up to be hit a little deeper than your last book, I highly recommend My Sister's Keeper.

4 comments:

Lizzy said...

I have heard this book is so good. I can't wait to read it!

Heidi said...

I saw this on your blog last week so I ran out and got the book and even though I bawled through the whole thing I loved it!!

P.S. Dustin good to see you the other day!

AP said...

It was sooo good. My face was swollen when I finished, but it was totally worth it.

Created by Sarah Robbins said...

I started the book! Riley had a dentist appt. yesterday, so I thought I would start reading while I waited. Not a good idea. I got emotional in the first chapter. I felt so dumb tearing up in the waiting room of the dentist office.