Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pioneer Trek

Last Thursday through Saturday, Dustin and I had the privilege to participate in one of the LDS Traditions - Pioneer Trek. There were about 150 kids between the ages of 14 and 18 and each were put in a family of about 7 kids with a Ma and a Pa. Dustin and I were the Pa and the Ma. For those of you not familiar with the tradition, it's an opportunity to understand a little bit more of what the pioneers endured when travelling from the Midwest via handcart into the Utah Valley to settle. I'll be honest, Dustin and I weren't particularly excited about this after all that we had been going through these past few months, but knew that it would be an excellent opportunity. Although I was pretty scared of the rattlesnakes since I heard that there were plenty to be seen and heard.
We travelled to Martin's Cove in Wyoming. (6 hour bus ride each way... ouch). This was a place where members of the Martin and Willie Handcart Company tried to find refuge from the cold and stormy winter storms that had hit. This particular group had more deaths than any other group that travelled from the Midwest. We hiked about 14 miles over the span of three days as we pushed handcarts, which was a lot easier than the pioneers had to endure. We had great food and heard some really courageous and inspirational stories of some of those who made the trek across the plains and through the mountains.
Dustin and I had 7 kids. We had a "wayward" son who just preferred to be with his friends and a daughter who decided to ditch us a few times, but all in all it was a wonderful experience.
One of the highlights was the Woman's Pull. The guys and girls were split up as if the men were going off to war. The men then had to stand at the top of a very steep hill and remain silent as each family of women pushed their handcart up a very steep hill, steeper than any other hill we had faced. The sand was deep at the bottom and then rocky at the top. The men had to stand and watch in silence as they watched 3, 4 or 5 women in each of their families push the handcart up the hill. Some women stumbled along the way and it was hard to watch at times. As you saw the men standing there, some got emotional as they watched these women struggle and felt helpless since all they could do was watch. It was a very powerful moment and one that I will never forget. My legs and lungs were burning, but I knew I couldn't let my family down and I had to keep on pushing.
We had many wonderful and special experiences over the three days and the kids really seemed to have a great time. I am so grateful that I was able to have this experience and feel a little closer to my ancestors. I had family on my mom's side of the family (and Dustin had family members as well) that were pioneers and crossed the plains into Utah. After hearing so many stories, I am truly in awe at what my ancestors endured and the faith that they had to press on. They lost loved ones along the way, but they knew they had a greater purpose. I feel so blessed to have such strength and faith in my family and in my genes and I am so grateful for the sacrifices that they made so that I can have the life that I live today.
The Cove Crew - aka our Family
"Ma" and "Pa" Tate @ the site of Martin's Cove

The Woman's Pull with my "daughters" Maddy and Ashlee

4 comments:

dt said...

JT, you were amazing doing the women's pull.
I admit that I had a bad attitude about Trek before going to it, but I ended up loving it. But I think I got in worse shape by going (too much food and didn't do any training).

DT

Lizzy said...

Beautiful post Jamie. It sounds like you had a neat experience. I am so glad!

Heather said...

WOW Jamie! That looked like a lot of hard work. I'm glad that I was born in this era, I don't think I would have done too good back then. What a cool tradition to honor your ancestors.

CharmCityChica said...

Pretty cool, though I must say I'm glad I don't have to do anything like that! (I'm baptist). I do enjoy reading your blog however and wish you the best of luck with your gorgeous new baby girl!