Friday, July 31, 2009

Help!

Honestly, I don't even know if anyone reads my blog anymore, but I need some mommy help! After some advice from my friends 6 months or so ago, I started putting Taylor down without rocking her to sleep. There was nothing in the world harder than listening to her cry herself to sleep, but I knew it was best.

6 months later, she is STILL crying herself to sleep! And since I woke up Friday morning to her standing up in her crib, now she immediately starts pulling herself up and screaming when I put her down. (Don't worry... the crib has been lowered). She doesn't care if I'm in the room with her or not. So sitting next to the crib, won't work unless there is a piece I'm missing. The minute I start to put her in her crib, she will start screaming, even if I have just barely rocked her to sleep. I have even stooped to putting her in bed with Dustin and me (once or twice) and she just thinks it's playtime. She sleeps through the night perfectly, it's just the going to sleep part.

I have looked on some mommy forums and there are some books suggested such as "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", "No Cry Sleep Solution" and "Baby Sleep". I know that what works for one baby doesn't always work for another, but I am willing to take any suggestions you may have even if they may seem crazy. Crying is one thing, but the screaming takes it to a new and very unpleasant level. It's too the point where I don't know if I'll ever be able to take her on a trip because I can't very well let her cry herself to sleep in a hotel room! I could have never made it overnight in ID, if it wasn't for my mom. (Oh yes and I think she slept a total of 4 hours that night). Please post a comment or send an email to the email link on our blog. It's an email for Dustin, but I can access it. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all of your help from a very desperate mommy!!!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi Jaime! Okay, so even though you said the sitting next to crib didn't work..this is how I did it. (my girls never slept well without me either.) U start by sitting right next to crib. Even if she cries just sit there and don't speak or look at her, just be there. Shelby my 2 1/2 would cry even with me right there. it may take a few days of this and her even screaming with u right there. She has to learn that u are not leaving and that it's ok to be in her crib. Once she has fallen asleep with u right next to her then u move a little further away; closer to the door. Once u have mastered even "step" u move closer to door, then once u are at the door "step", then u are almost at freedom. I read this is a parenting magazine and it worked 4 me. Just hang in there and it's all about making her feel secure in her bed! Good luck and let me know if u have more Q's.!

Lizzy said...

jamie you poor thing. i wish i had some good advice for you - but i am so new in the mommy department, i am not much help. i hope you get some good advice, and more importantly, i hope the advice will help! hang in there!

Kelley Hauck said...

BE CONSISTENT!!!! Whatever you decide to do, whatever feels most comfortable to your parenting style. Stick to it. Don't second guess and change from night to night. "Healthy sleet habits, happy child" is my favorite- and I have read them all, but really it is about finding the book for your parenting style. Love you!

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

Jamie, Hi! I think I may have met you once, but my husband is an old friend of Dustin's and I grew up with his brother Steve....anyways, I ran across your blog and wanted to say hello. Your daughter is beautiful, we are so happy for you. What a great blessing. I was just scanning this post and wanted to pass along a book that has been amazing for us. Maybe you have heard of it, but it's called Baby Wise. It has worked great for us. Anyways, all the best to you guys. Tell Dustin Chris says hello. I think we actually live in your stake...:) Anyways, take care!