Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spudman - Round 2

For the second year in a row, Dustin participated in the Spudman Triathlon in Burley, ID. This year, my mom came out for the event too so he had his own little cheering section. However, this year he hit a few blips in the road (literally) that he didn't have to deal with last year. With the training he has been doing, I knew that he was going to break his 2:30 time from last year, I just didn't expect what happened to take place.

He started off the swim well although once they all get out in the river with their orange caps and wetsuits, I can't keep track of who is who. It was about the time that he was supposed to be coming in on the bike when I got a call on my cell. It was a 208 area code so at first I thought maybe it was a friend I had touched base with the day before, but decided to answer it any way. It was Dustin. My heart dropped into my stomach for a minute because I had heard an ambulance leaving not too long before. (And for those of you who don't know, there was a man who died during the swim part of the race the year before, so I was probably a little extra anxious). He told me that he was on his second flat and had to wait to have somebody pick him up. Apparently for the 1400 participants there were only 2 bike techs and he had already used his spare tube on his first flat. He said that he was going to try to get a ride in soon so that he could at least run the 10K. But as the next hour passed, I started to get a little nervous and couldn't imagine what was taking him so long. I also knew that after this amount of time, there was no way he would run the 10K and I was trying to think of ways to offer encouragement because I knew that he was going to be so upset.

After about an hour and 20 minutes, I saw him riding in on a bike, I didn't know if it was his bike or not because he had mentioned that his was beyond repair, but I got so excited and was cheering for him like a mad women as I ran down the final stretch of the bike race behind him. I looked at my watch and it was 15 minutes after he had finished the entire triathlon the year before. Knowing that he knew this, I watched him transition into his running gear as I am still cheering at him like some crazy lady with tears streaming down my face. I couldn't believe that he was going to finish. I know me and I know that I would've said "oh well" and that would have been it, but that wasn't good enough for Dustin. I went running back to my mom and Taylor and I told Taylor that she was so lucky to have such an amazing dad who didn't let the fact that 2 flat tires and a lot of waiting around for help didn't stop him and that he kept going and finished the race. When he finished, I can honestly say that I was even more proud of him and inspired this year than I had been the year before (and I was pretty darn proud and inspired last year...)

Apparently a large, rusty industrial pin was what blew out Dustin's tire and since the tire was so ruined, the spare tubes didn't really give him the help he needed. (How does a race like this not clean the streets before the race??? We saw at least 5 people carrying bikes in on their shoulders and a few people who just didn't finish so that was definitely a problem this year.) His first flat happened 3/4 of a mile into the bike and his cartridge only filled up the tire 30% so he had to walk back to the starting line (in his bike cleats) to get another cartridge to fill up the bike. At 7 miles is where the tube couldn't hold up and he waited 45 minutes for a tech to help him patch that up letting him know that it may not last another 18 miles. When Dustin was riding in, his tire was flat. I know he's still pretty upset, but both his swim and run were faster than last year despite all of his emotional turmoil this year. I couldn't be more proud to call him my husband and Taylor's daddy!


This was just before the swim started. Look at that beautiful view over the Snake River, not to mention that sexy bod my hubby has.
Talking with his friend Dave right before the swim.

The very last stretch and he was still going strong!

After the inspiring race, Taylor had had enough and was ready for a nap.


Dustin and his friend Aaron

1 comment:

To Be Determined said...

Wow. I am impressed! I can run down the street.... and then I need a nap.