Tuesday, July 14, 2009

To My Favorite Sister in the Whole Wide World

It's kind of the running joke that I call my sister my favorite sister, since she is my only sister, but today I want to wish my favorite sister in the whole wide world a very happy birthday. Growing up, I was a horrible big sister. I wasn't good at including Ashley in things that I did and I wasn't someone that she could look up to or lean on for anything. It is one of the biggest regrets that I have. But Ashley is a fighter. She has been since she was born 27 years ago at 3 lbs 12 oz. She has had so much thrown at her throughout her life and she still fights her way to survive and be happy. We are so different and so the same in so many ways. People think that we look alike, but she is way more gorgeous than I will ever be, however we do sound alike. And even though we haven't lived in the same house for 12 years, we have similar mannerisms and phrases. It's almost kind of scary. And even though I'm the "big" sister, I look up to Ashley. She has had a very rough couple of years, but people who don't know that would probably never know. She can light up a room in seconds. She can talk to anyone and she has an incredible gift at making others feel special and loved. She is extremely creative and very talented. And right now, even though I don't know how she does it, she is living her dream from when she was a little girl... in front of the camera. She has done some modeling and now she has had some extra parts in a movie and some tv shows. I could never imagine living that moment to moment lifestyle of never having a steady job or knowing if you can pay the bills that month, but Ashley embraces it.

Even though this girl is tough as nails, she has a heart of gold. I remember when we were little and somebody swatted a moth and she cried and cried trying to nurse it back to health. She even took care of our Great Aunt's dog for years after our Great Aunt died. If you had seen this gray poodle, you would think that she was on death's door, but Ashley would cradle and cuddle her and hand feed her to the point that this dog lived years longer than she ever would have under normal circumstances. No matter what physical ailments a person may have, while other people are staring, Ashley sees right past that into the soul of someone and treats them for who they really are. She can frustrate me like no one else, but it usually has to do with those free spirit traits of hers that make her so special and so unique.

So here is to my favorite sister and best friend, Ashley. I have always said that I would choose her to be my only sister than to have multiple brothers and sisters because she fulfills and surpasses anything that I would and have ever wanted in a sibling. I love you so much and here's to having an amazing year!


Even since we were little, Ashley has always been the life of the party and so fun to hang out with. She always makes me laugh!

We did go through some years with some pretty cute hairstyles... my always seemed to be worse... :)

Yet through it all, Ashley has always been able to ham it up for the camera.



I couldn't ask for a better Aunt to Taylor. Even though Ashley doesn't get to see her very often, she is so amazing to Taylor when she does get to see her. I'm so glad that Taylor has Ashley to look up to and to teach her the things that I can't (like nutrition, skin care, putting on make-up)!

4 comments:

To Be Determined said...

Happy Birthday ASHLEY! Congrats on living your dream. Not many people can say they accomplished that in their lifetime. Good Luck in LA.

I love the picture in the white easter dress. Very cute. Jamie why didn't you include the boy hair phase? That haircut was great. Might not have felt that way back then, but it provides some laughs now, right?

AP said...

Happy birthday, Ash!

Lizzy said...

What a sweet post! Happy Birthday Ashley!

The Tate Family said...

Happy Birthday Ashley!