Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Surprise, Surprise!

Well, Dustin pulled it off! He managed to throw a surprise party for my big 3-0 and I didn't have a clue. I've been visiting my fam in Cali for the past week and a half (hence the lack of blog posts), but I'll catch up on that later this week.

So... Taylor and I were supposed to get in around 9 last night, but Dustin called me Sunday night to tell me he had changed my flight. He said he wanted to spend some extra time with Taylor before she went to bed and since our sweet angel has her daddy totally wrapped around her finger, I totally bought the story. I definitely kept Dustin on his toes because my flight got in earlier than expected (by like 30 minutes, when does that ever happen) so he had to stall and a little and I still had no idea. It wasn't until we were pulling up our street, that I noticed a couple of familiar cars and then Dustin was rushing me in without my luggage and I opened the door to our small family room packed with some of our family and closest friends. Dustin had embarrassing pictures of me all over the place, and a beautiful collage with the #30 splattered everywhere and what is a party without food and cake. (Thanks to my friends for bringing some of my favorite goodies). Dustin has been working hard all week to fix up the yard, clean the house and totally keep me out of the loop. He didn't even call me on my birthday, I had to call him and then he kept rushing me off the phone. I think he just didn't want to blow anything at the last minute. It was honestly one of the sweetest and most thoughtful things that Dustin could have done. And not only because of the party, but I know that he was totally outside of his comfort zone planning a party, but like everything else, he put his whole heart into it (he even sent out e-vites with music from 1979). It was a very very special day!

Yesterday gave me time to reflect about my life. Except for being in California, it was like any other day, I would have never known it was my birthday. But as I was saying so long to my 20s it made me kind of glad they were over. I started off my 20s with an identity crisis. I didn't really know who I was or where my life was going and to be honest I didn't really love who I was. But after 10 years of some of the highest highs and some of my lowest lows, I couldn't ask for a better way to start my 30s. I am starting my 30s as a mom of one of the sweetest angels in the world, I am married to the love of my life whom I love and adore more and more every single day, I have a family, actually two families that I love being a part of and I have some of the very best friends that I could have ever asked for. Walking into a house with some of my favorite people in the world (minus a few of course) I can't imagine a more perfect way to end my 20s and step into another 10 years of what I'm sure will be a lot more ups and downs, but I'm starting off on more solid ground. I can hardly wait!

7 comments:

AP said...

Dustin did a great job! Thanks for letting us be part of your special day :)

Beckstrom Bunch said...

So glad you've entered the "30's"! I'm finding it's a great time in life. Thanks for a fun party (my kids are still talking about it today) and tell Dustin he his an excellent party planner!

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

You've had a birthday shout hurray, we want to sing to you today, one year older and wiser too, Happy Birthday... to you!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart husband to plan a surprise party for you! Welcome to your 30s, hope this decade treats you as well as you deserve!
Here's to a wonderful, fun-filled year!

Kelley Hauck said...

Glad you had a great birthday! Sounds like a great surprise. I am so glad you had a great entrance into your 30's! So good to see you last week. You look amazing!

The Hobson Clan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hobson Clan said...

Hope you don't mind but I found your blog through Chelsea's. It was so fun to see you yesterday. We need to do more than just the DS function every now and then! Happy Birthday! That is so sweet of Dustin. What a great guy!

Melissa