Saturday, November 22, 2008

Wedding Ring(s)

I think that I am somehow jinxed when it comes to wedding rings. Growing up, I was known to lose everything and Dustin knew this before marrying me so I think that he was already nervous about my ring. However, that doesn't seem to be my problem, there's actually another problem that I seem to have that has now become recurring.

Dustin and I got engaged in Cozumel, Mexico when he was working down there. We did a little ring shopping while I was visiting and I found a setting I really liked. It was just over three years after we had been married and I remember the day vividly because it was the day that I found out that my favorite job was relocating to Orlando, FL in six months and I was devastated. After an emotional day, I got into bed and was taking off my wedding ring when I noticed that one of my side bezeled diamonds had fallen out. I remember thinking my day couldn't get any worse (even though it always can but luckily it didn't). Things were pretty crazy the next year or so and since I'm a procrastinator, it took me about a year and a half to finally take in my ring. I found out the goldsmith on the ring was pretty poor and I pretty much needed to have the whole thing redone. I decided to change it up and do something a little different, but I was going to keep my same diamond and then take the 3 remaining bezeled diamonds and turn those into a small diamond necklace.

So that brings us to two days ago. I was cooking a ton and cleaning the house to get ready for pinochle club that I participate in with some of my extended family members and this month I was the host. So after a long day, it was around 10pm and I sat on the couch to talk with Dustin about the day and he gasped. I couldn't understand what he was gasping about. He said... "your ring". I looked down only to see that my main diamond was no longer in my ring. Let's say I pretty much freaked out. I spent the next two hours on my hands and knees with a flashlight scouring my entire house. Even though it was dark, I checked out in the car and on our front lawn. I couldn't sleep even though I was exhausted and I was sick to my stomach.

The next day, Dustin made a claim with our insurance and luckily because we had the ring appraised this time, we would be able to receive some money towards a new diamond, but it certainly wouldn't have been for the full amount. I was retracing all of my steps and called Dustin's parents and left a message because I had been there earlier that day, but didn't put much stock in it being there. I had also been to Costco. I can just imagine calling Costco and asking if they had found a loose diamond on their floor if they could give me a call. They probably would have thought I was insane and just laughed at me. A couple hours later I got a call from Dustin's brother, Steve. He said "I found your diamond". My jaw dropped to the floor and I was like "yeah right". He said "No, seriously, I found your diamond. It was behind the bookshelf in the entry way". April was with me when I got the call so she can testify to my utter amazement and disbelief. I don't have a big diamond in my ring so how he ever found it is beyond me. Apparently my mother in law had heard something drop when I was in talking with her and my sister in law so she thought that maybe it was in the vicinity. How amazing is that?

Honestly, I have already had my big miracle this year. My wedding ring certainly doesn't compare to Taylor, but I was heartbroken not only to have to pay for another diamond, but more so for the sentimental value that that diamond holds. I think that my miracles are all used up for the year, probably until the next baby comes, but I am so grateful to my mother in law, Steve and my father in law for going around the house on their hands and knees and finding my diamond.

So now the dilemma is, once I do get my ring fixed, I think that I may be a little too scared to ever wear it again!

2 comments:

AP said...

There's nothing better than witnessing a genuine reaction. So glad Steve found it!

Lizzy said...

that is amazing he found it! that feeling of not having your ring can make you sick - so happy steve found it!