Friday, October 10, 2008

Cradle or Crib... or Cradle

I'll be perfectly honest, (I think I say that pretty often, but if you know me at all, I'm a pretty open book if you allow me to be) I am not one that does well when I'm sleep deprived. I love getting at least 8 hours of sleep. I know that is more than most anyone out there, but I do love my sleep which is almost comical seeing as how I come from a family of insomniacs. Anyway, before Taylor, I always thought that I would be one of those moms that would keep her baby in the cradle by her bed for 3 plus months. After week two of motherhood, I was ready for her to go in the other room! Surprisingly enough, Dustin wasn't, so I waited.


Now she's doing a lot better and pretty much wakes up between 2:30 and 3:30am and then again around 6:30 or 7am. Last week, I cleaned out some of the clothes and toys that had made their way into her crib so that I would be ready to start her in the crib. That was last week! I still haven't opened the baby monitor package as though it's an excuse that I haven't been able to put her in the crib yet. Honestly, when she starts to stir and fuss around 3am, I wait for a few minutes thinking that by some miracle she'll go back to sleep, knowing deep down that she won't. I get up to make her bottle and then when we sit in the glider (which my mom so graciously bought for us) in her room and I feed her and rock her back to sleep, it is some of the most precious moments of the day that we share together. I see now why my mom was so insistent on buying the rocker because the short time we have spent in that chair has already been very special. I love watching her suck on her bottle. She'll wiggle around, make noises while she eats and then close her eyes and raise her eyebrows while her eyes are closed. And then when I put her on my chest and rock her back to sleep, there is nothing more precious in the world than when she curls up into my chest and falls fast asleep. Then I place her back in her cradle which my grandfather made for my mom that both my sister and I slept in. Maybe it's the nostalgia of everything and I get to feel like my mom and grandparents are with me during this nightly routine, but I have finally begun to appreciate just how wonderful the nightly routine is even if it does deprive me of my precious sleep. So now, I'm kind of used to having the cradle right by my bed and I actually kind of like it! My selfish desires are slowing turning... who would have thought?



The cradle my grandpa made that both Ashley and I slept in...



Taylor always sleeps most comfortably with both arms above her head which is why the swaddling never worked too well for her unless her arms were out of it.


Also, we had a few visitors this week. Kristin, who I swam with growing up, lives in Salt Lake so she and her beautiful daughter Audrey came by to bring us dinner and catch up which was so awesome! Unfortunately my brain wasn't working and I completely forgot to take pictures. Kristin got a darling pic of Taylor and Audrey so I'll have to get a copy of it from her and post it. And her dinner was so good so if she ever offers to bring you dinner, definitely take her up on it!

I learned from Wednesday night's mistake and made sure to take a picture when my roommates (prior to being married) came by, Bobi and Keely! This is a picture of Bobi and Taylor since Keely refuses to be in any pictures... Bobi is now married to my cousin so I guess she's actually my cousin now! They got some cute gifts for Taylor and it was so fun to catch up and reminisce.

I'm so grateful for all of my many friends who have stopped by, brought dinner, called or emailed, sent gifts and been so supportive! I know I haven't always been the greatest friend in years past, but I am so grateful for the opportunities to catch up and reconnect with those I haven't seen for a while. Thanks to all of my friends out there who have been so great to me!!!! I promise to be better at returning the kind gestures!

7 comments:

Kendra said...

I hope you don't mind but Patrick sent me the link to you blog. I love it!! I am so excite for you and Dustin. Enjoy the night feedings...they are precious and end all to quickly. I still sometimes go in an hold Maiya at night but it's just not the same when they are big.

Love ya,

JKAndrus said...

I just posted the picture on my blog so if you can't save and copy it let me know and I will email it. So fun to see you, I'll try and drop off the present on Monday. Have a good weekend!

The Tate Family said...

Jamie....I love my sleep too. By about the end of 2 months, you might be interested in ways to help her sleep through the night. My pediatrician is UNBELIEVABLE! He came up with this whole sleep system where you teach your baby to fall asleep on their own. You do it in between month 3 & 4. I have done it with Mia and she completely sleeps through the night now. I love it because he has come up with a system where you don't have to make them cry themselves to sleep which is the worst! Here is a link: http://www.salempediatricclinic.com/dr%20wilson%20lit%20page.htm scroll down to newborns & infants "have you slept lately?" It's awesome, if you are interested. By the way, Taylor is adorable. That picture of her sleeping kills me!

AP said...

Are you kidding? You are one of the most thoughtful, wonderful people I know! Also, Taylor is beautiful. I know just what you are talking about. Those quiet morning hours are so precious. I am tearing up just thinking about how quickly it all goes. Savor it!

Lizzy said...

Beautiful Taylor is so lucky to have you and Dustin. What cute parents you are. The late night/early morning feedings are so precious. And, like you...I absolutely snuggling up with Lily in my glider and rocking her. Those pictures are darling...I love the one of her sleeping. What a sweet heart!

Stephanie said...

Super Cute Pictures of Taylor! Sorry, I forwared your blog to Patrick, who forwarded it to Kendra. Enjoy the night times when you do sleep through the night. Your body won't know what happened. :) Steph

Unknown said...

Jamie and Dustin,

I hope you don't mind that I was forwarded your blog too. I am so happy for you both. Taylor is beautiful! It is true that the nightly feedings go by way to fast. I still miss them as crazy as that sounds. What a wonderful blessing for such a great family!!!