Monday, October 20, 2008

#1 Question

So the number one question behind "how is Taylor doing" is "how is Quique handling everything?" It's been interesting. The first couple of weeks, she just ignored Taylor. I think it was the realization that "this thing" was staying, but also that it was messing with her life a bit. Especially since things were pretty crazy those first couple of weeks.

Since then, Quique has really come around. I still think that because Taylor is so small, she's not really sure exactly what she's doing yet, but Quique has acknowledged Taylor. When Taylor was just a couple of weeks old, Dustin took one of the late night feedings and while sitting on the couch (prior to the rocker) he was feeding Taylor. Quique jumped up on the couch, snuggled up next to Dustin and put her chin up on Taylor's legs. Quique always sleeps with her chin propped up either on Dustin or me or on one of her stuffed animals. Dustin said it was priceless.

With the visitors that have come by, Quique always thinks that everybody is there to see her so she wags her butt and licks people like crazy. I'm so glad she doesn't know otherwise...

Since then, she has discovered Taylor's toys. Not that she has a lot, but apparently she had more than I realized. Quique hit the jackpot when she found the bag with the few toys that she had. Quique has since inherited those toys which I know is not the way to handle it, but it was quite comical to see her squeaking one of Taylor's toys and a teething toy that no longer has the liquid inside.

But the most precious of all are the times when Taylor is in bed with us and Quique jumps up on the bed and snuggles up to Taylor and in between Dustin and I. Or the times when Taylor is screaming her head off because she's hungry. When I set her down in my lap and start feeding her the bottle, Quique will come right up and start licking her head to try and comfort her. I know that this has been a hard adjustment for Q, but once Taylor gets a little bit bigger, I know that they will be the best of friends.

I know that many see Quique as just a dog, but for Dustin and I, she has been and will continue to be so much more. She's only been a part of our family for the past 2 1/2 years, but she has been there for us through some dark times. Dustin and I truly believe that she has filled our lives in ways that no one or anything else could have. She has made us laugh so many times, she has comforted us in a way that only a dog can and she has filled our lives and our family in ways that so many couldn't even begin to understand. We love you Quique!
Daddy's two girls
A morning cuddle
Yes, that is Taylor's bottle in Quique's mouth.

And for a recent picture. She's hasn't quite found the camera yet... we're still working on that. But here she is after church on Sunday.

9 comments:

AP said...

Look at those cheeks! She's getting so big. As soon as I'm feeling better, I'm going to have to come see you guys!

Lizzy said...

what a cute post. i totally know the feeling! diva was there with me through my hardest times...and they are such great little companions. and they do totally become part of your family. i love that picture of taylor...that dress is killer!! i love her!

The Tate Family said...

Oh my gosh, she is getting so big! I can't believe we haven't met her yet! I can't wait!

Brooke and Tyler Heath said...

How funny!! What cute pictures! I love that little dress on Taylor.

Stephanie said...

Super Cute pictures! I'm sure Taylor will want to ride Q when she gets older.

Heather said...

Love the update on Quique. I'm so glad she is adjusting well. Dog's truly are our best friends and they always fill our lives with nothing but love. As I type this, Marley is resting her head on my laptop. LABS ARE THE BEST!!!

Created by Sarah Robbins said...

Whenever I see Quique she brightens my day. This post is making me want to get a dog of my own

Kristy said...

I love those pictures! Dogs are such an important part of the family, aren't they?

Ally said...

What a doll--Taylor that is :)