Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Things have been a bit crazy for the past couple of weeks! I will try not to bore you with too many details, but here are a few highlights from the last week or so. One of the many family traditions during Christmas time is to make my family's famous English Toffee and Caramels. In fact, I'm not quite sure how many generations, but I think the recipes go back to at least a great-great Grandmother. Since this can be a timely process, Taylor decided to cooperate and go down for some 2 hour naps which gave me the span of time needed to make a batch. It just makes me feel a little closer to my mom when I know that she's doing the same thing around the same time.
Then my mom and sister arrived on Saturday. Ashley hadn't met Taylor yet so it was a very special meeting. I decided to leave Taylor at home with Dustin so that I could park and help my mom and sister with all of their luggage since they're staying for two weeks (and I know how they travel). I have never seen them so disappointed to see me when they stepped off the plane. and they didn't see Taylor. I guess I know where I fall in the line of priorities.

On Sunday, Dustin's mom's side of the family had their Christmas party. We had the very special opportunity to be visited by Santa! Apparently our friend Mark is one of Santa's helpers and he graced us as Santa that evening. When Taylor sat on his lap he let us know that he can understand baby talk. According to Santa, Taylor wants her mom to forgo her Sugar Bowl Tickets so that her dad can bring one of his friends (interesting...) and she wanted her daddy to win the League Old School Fantasy Football Championship that weekend. Well Santa made one of those wishes come true, but the second one is definitely not happening! (Maybe next time Mark!)
Taylor on Santa's lap.


On Monday, we decided to do a Service Project. My aunt works at St. Joseph's Villa on the wing for the long care patients who will pretty much stay there until they die. Apparently, some of those people don't get too many visitors so we tied some fleece blankets and got some family and friends together and sang Christmas carols room to room. There were 11 kids and 2 babies and even a dog. I was so impressed with each one of the kids. So many of the people were touched telling us how special it was and for some the very best Christmas ever. One woman was blind and although she couldn't see the kids, she mouthed the words to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer as the children sang. Everyone had a great time. I was one that refused to sing seeing as how no one would want to hear my voice, but I was brought to tears so many times, I couldn't help but join in and sing along too.

Taylor was joining in on the caroling and visiting fun.
Dinner at Lugano's on Tuesday with the Tate side of the family.

Bryson and Taylor and Tate and Allie. Taylor may not smile for the camera yet, but at least she is looking up!

Christmas Eve and Christmas were both just great days to spend time with family and eat spectacular food. (There's nothing like Prime Rib with horseradish and sauteed mushrooms, twice baked potatoes, salad and asparagus with Hollandaise sauce... yum!) Grandma spoiled Taylor this year so it will be very interesting once she actually understands what's going on around her.

It was a great past couple of days with family and friends. This is my absolute favorite holiday. I feel so blessed that I could share it with Dustin, Taylor, my mom and sister and Dustin's family as well. This has just been a great time to reflect not only on the birth of our Savior, but the amazing life that he led and the sacrifice that he made for each one of us. We have so much to be grateful for and so many blessings to rejoice in. Below are just two of my many!


1 comment:

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

Hi, this is Heather from your ward. Your blog is really cute. I loved reading about Taylor and how everything worked out so perfectly. Thanks for welcoming me into the neighborhood! See you sunday.