Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mom of the Year

WORST mom of the year that is! Since I had a hand in causing my daughter to look like this...


And like this...


I think that I deserve the title. So here is the long version of how this poor rash came to be. Thursday night was the monthly dinner club with the girls. This month the theme was to try something new. Growing up I used to love making calamari with my parents. I remember cleaning the squid with my dad and then frying up some calamari. Since I really can't remember doing it, I decided to try it out. Of course Taylor happened to be a little cranky during this process so I was working on the calamari and then tending to her... back and forth. Apparently during one of those times I must not have washed my hands well or touched her skin or something.

On Friday morning after her bath, I noticed she had a bit of a rash on her stomach and the tops of her arms and legs. I called the nurse at my Pediatrician's office and she said that with rashes, they have to see them to be sure. At this time, making the calamari hadn't even crossed my mind. I decided to wait it out a couple of days to see how it went and by Saturday it was bad. Thank goodness for my sister in law, Brooke the pharmacist. She has helped me out so much! I figured by this time it was probably an allergic reaction since cooking calamari probably wasn't the best idea around Taylor. Brooke told me about the Aveeno baby bath powder that helps soothe rashes. She also took time to go through her notes and told me to try using a humidifier at night. I guess allergic reactions usually peak around 72 hours. Great, another day to see if things get worse!

Last night I gave Taylor a bath and actually today her legs are looking better. I was just giving her a bath and crying feeling like the worst mom ever. Even though Taylor is as smiley as can be and doesn't seem to be irritated at all by the rash, my heart just breaks when I see the rash all over her face and body and know that I was the cause. I guess this is only the beginning of feeling inadequate. I just hope this rash goes away before finalizing the adoption in court on Friday. Nothing like showing up with a big rash all over your baby's face in court telling a judge how suitable you are to be the parent of this child.

On a lighter note, the countdown has officially begun! We can hardly wait until finalizing the adoption on Friday, sealing her in the temple on Saturday and blessing her on Sunday! What an amazing weekend this will be!!!

9 comments:

Dana said...

Oh Jamie....you are a great mother. These silly things just happen. I will be over tomorrow to see you both. Thank heavens children bounce back fast. They are so resilient. Love you both.

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

You are such a great mother. These things just happen. When my parent's officially adopted Taitum she wasn't even able to go because she had strep throught. We were kind of nervous but the judge said that Taitum didn't need to be there. I'm sure Taylor's rash will clear up. Good luck and congrats!

Heidi said...

Sad, but yet funny story. You are an awesome mom. Good luck on Friday and with the rest of the weekend!

Heidi said...

Sad, but yet funny story. You are an awesome mom. Good luck on Friday and with the rest of the weekend!

Lizzy said...

first, you are not a terrible mother. you are a darling mother! anton and i got a chuckle out of dustin saying "jamie gave taylor a rash". funny thing is...she still is absoultely adorable with the rash and all!

Ally said...

sweet Jamie. Have a wonderful weekend! Can you believe it has really been 6 months already?!

The Tate Family said...

Jamie...I am so sorry...I know the guilt of motherhood all too well! Don't worry, it is only the beginning of feeling guilty throughout her life! But, saying that, you are an amazing mom...it's actually more humorous than anything!

JT said...

Thanks everyone! I promise I wasn't looking for any compliments, but I do appreciate the support and for making me feel a little bit better. Update - she's looking great and the rash is looking tons better. Love you guys!!!

Stephanie said...

Don't worry Jamie! You are are great mother. We can't be perfect everyday. Hang in there and good luck this weekend with everything!