Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Since the day is coming to an end, I hope that everyone had a fabulous St. Patrick's Day! This was a holiday that was celebrated every year in my home growing up, so I have tried to hold on to some of my family traditions. Since Dustin is out of town this week, we celebrated the holiday on Sunday as a family. I made the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage along with some carrots and potatoes with white sauce, horseradish and mustards. Probably not as good as my mom used to make it, but still pretty good!

I remember very vividly growing up when my mom was finishing up cooking, my dad would bring out his glass of green beer and he would pour the milk into our (my sister and me) glasses and miraculously the milk would turn green. I am so grateful to my parents for always celebrating holidays and getting into them so much because they are memories that I treasure and hope to pass on to my kids.
No... we didn't put green dye in Taylor's formula, we'll save the green milk until next year. But we couldn't let her miss out on the fun. Her Grandma along with her Aunt, couldn't help but make sure that Taylor was in the spirit of the holiday. Her shirt reads "I'm Your Lucky Charm". I think that that is the understatement of the century for us!
Today, I also spent some time making a cake for a church activity we had this evening. I attempted it for Dustin's birthday, but this time I was actually able to make the three layer cake which two layers for his birthday due to a shortage in 8" cake pans. (Who knew that it was so hard to find 8" cake pans - 4 stores later). This is the Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake I made... is there a better match made in heaven on this earth than peanut butter and chocolate???
Taylor has had some rough times over the past couple of days due to her being on the verge of cutting her second tooth. With Dustin out of town, I had to bring her to the activity I went to and she wasn't incredibly happy, so after some crying, we finally got home to find this on our doorstep...

Sweet Liz brought over some cookies for Taylor from her BFF Lilly. Maybe it was one of those moments, but it almost brought me to tears. It was just one of those tender moments after I had just spent a couple of hours with some of my dearest friends in the world, to come home to a very thoughtful gift from one of my other very dear friends. I feel like the most blessed person alive to have such an amazing family and friends!

2 comments:

AP said...

That plate of cookies just might be the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Brooke and Tyler Heath said...

Fun traditions! I might have to steal the green milk idea for next year! Taylor looks cute in green!