Friday, January 30, 2009

A Day of Firsts

So last Saturday (yes almost a week ago) we took Taylor for her very first swim in something other than the bathtub. The plan was actually to take her while my fam was in town, but it just never happened and then by the time we had a chance, she started to come down with a cold. Anyway, it was so much fun!

When I was about two months, my mom started me in the water. My mom is definitely not a swimmer, but since we had a pool in our backyard, she was deathly afraid that if I fell in, she wouldn't be able to save me. Since her near death experience gave her no motivation to learn how to swim, she decided that both Ashley and I would learn at a very early age. Since the water has been such an important and truly wonderful part of my life, I wanted to make sure to get Taylor in early as well. I have taught swim lessons and swim teams, but when it actually came time for me to dunk my own child under the water it was a very scary thought. I finally toughened up and did it. It was so fun to watch Taylor in the water. She wasn't smiling, but she wasn't crying either... she was completely content. It really was beautiful and I am so glad that we videotaped it. Of course I have no idea how to put it on the blog, but I did get up the courage to dunk her (I promise I have proof) and she did awesome!



Later that day we took a trip to Target and daddy decided to take on the Baby Bjorn and since Taylor wasn't sleeping or about to fall asleep (like she is on our daily walks with Quique) we decided to turn her facing forward. Dustin had a blast with the whole thing and Taylor was taking things off the shelves left and right. I know one of these days I am going to come home with something that she swiped. I've got to keep my eye on her.

The last first of the day, was a first for me. I am not quite sure what my problem is, but ever since my days of swimming/water polo/synchro/whatever have ended, I have pretty much lost all motivation to work out. I was doing a little bit before I got married and then since then I have just gone downhill. Which is very odd since Dustin is in great shape and constantly trying to "motivate" me. You would think that I would want to be healthy, but I guess I am just lazy. I used the "burned out" excuse for a few years, but I don't think I can use that any more.

Anyway, Dustin has been trying so hard to find the right mode of exercise to entice me to work out and so far, we haven't had any luck. I was planning on doing a beginner's triathlon in October with some of my girlfriends, but when Taylor came a month before that, my life kind of turned upside down (in the best way possible of course). Any way, I had bought shoes to clip in and out of Dustin's road bike and still had not used them. Since Dustin set up his road bike on the trainer downstairs, he persuaded me into giving it a whirl. Let's just be thankful that I wasn't clipping in and out on the pavement or while moving since I probably would have fallen flat on my face, but actually found it to be a lot of fun. Of course I only lasted 10 minutes seeing as how my legs were burning in the first 2. And although I still have yet to get back on the bike. I do have a willingness to try it again. Maybe I've turned over a new leaf???

3 comments:

Lizzy said...

that picture is to die for! I love that suit! we totally need to take the kiddos swimming this summer. and, good for you about the biking! i know what you mean...sometimes it is so hard to get motivated. i FINALLY found a workout i love, and know i actually look forward to doing it. but, it seriously took me so long to find something i liked. i am proud of you!

Heather said...

Did she try a few ballet legs or egg beaters? I think she is going to love the water, just like her mommy.

kaysi van dyke fox said...

oh she is such a sweet girl!! i love the picture!! :) we cannot wait until we have our little one! looking at all of your pictures is getting me so excited!!