Thursday, September 4, 2008

IT'S A GIRL!!!!

Where do we begin? I always like to start with the end - so here's the news: Taylor Anne Tate was born September 3rd, 2008 at 1:00 pm - all 6.0 lbs. 18 inches of her.

So, now the rest of the story. As most of those who read this blog are aware, after our second unsuccessful attempt at IVF, we decided that adoption would be our best option for us to beign our family. Since making that decision, we decided that we needed to move forward 1,000 miles per hour and get approved and get an active profile as soon as possible because our child could come at any time.

Now - the process is not an easy one, and it's not easy to get through. By the time we had our first meeting with LDS Family Services (July 21st) until the date that we were final approved (August 25th) was just over four weeks. The average time, according to our case worker, is eight weeks. There is a ton of paperwork, reference letters, classes, conferences, etc. We got a phone call from our wonderful caseworker on the 25th, letting us know that we were approved. Needless to say, it all became more real, and we were thrilled. However, we realized that we were likely in for a long wait. The average wait is more than a year.

While all of this was happening, a beautiful and tiny yet big-hearted young lady named Jami (that's right, Jami) was eight months pregnant and had just changed her mind about keeping her baby - realizing that as a single mother without a good job nor family to help, it would be tough to give her little girl the life that she deserved. When Jami made the decision to place her girl for adoption, she looked first at some agencies out of state but found it hard to get in touch with anybody. She was then referred to our case worker at LDS Family Services on August 21st. Our case worker felt a strong prompting to show her our profile - even though we had not yet been approved. Unlike 99% of the other prospective birth mothers, Jami wasn't interested in reviewing profiles online. She took the hard copies of the profiles (our letter and photo collage) that we had turned in just a couple of days before and took them home to review and ponder. She came back on August 25th - the very day that we were approved - and told our case worker that she felt good about us and wanted to meet us.

I got a phone call on August 27th when our case worker told us that a young birth mother - who was due with a young girl on September 14th - wanted to meet us. What a miracle! We were so excited and so nervous. We fasted and said so many prayers that it would work out how it was supposed to. Well, yesterday we were supposed to meet at LDSFS at 1 pm. That morning, our case worker called and told me that we had to cancel. I was disappointed - until she told me that it was because Jami had just gone into labor!

Well, from yesterday until last night, we kept in touch with our case worker to see what would happen. We found out that the baby was born healthily and Jami still wanted to place, but wanted to meet with a few families to be sure that she felt good about her decision.
So, this morning we went to the hospital to meet Jami and hopefully help her to get to know us better. We brought a blanket that Jamie's mom had crocheted for our first-born, some flowers, a frame to track a baby each month in its first year, a book and CD from Michael McClain about adoption, and a card - and we also
included a gift card from Olive Garden that we had. In our meeting, Jami felt a connection to us. Not just the fact that she shared first names with the prospective adoptive mother, but also her middle name is Anne (Jamie's mother's name is Ann). We also found out that her favorite food was spaghetti (she was so excited about the gift certificate to Olive Garden), her favorite city that she had visited is Venice (ours, too), she loves reading and, like my Jamie, she loved Edward from the Twilight Series. In that room full of different emotions - the birth mother feeling torn, knowing that she'd have to part with this newborn baby who is very much a part of her - and us, the adoptive couple who is overcome with hopes of dreams coming true - we still made a very special connection with each other.
Jamie and I had talked about names before, and we liked the name Taylor and we had planned on giving the middle name of Ann. But we never realized how much significance it would have until all of the pieces came together like it did. Our case worker's last name is Taylor and Jami felt strongly that the little girl carry the middle name of Anne.

There are so many things that happened before and after, but in the end, this is our story. We have no doubt that Taylor Anne was sent to us and things worked out exactly the way that they were supposed to. We may not have been completely ready (we were expecting months before getting her - and even after learning about Jami - we still thought we had a couple of weeks to get things prepared), but for your first child, you never really are, right?

We're so grateful for all of our friends and family who were behind us every step of the way. We had a long day today, with paperwork, waiting at the hospital, etc. But when we got home, we had so many voice mails and text messages waiting for us. Even more amazing, we came home to see first hand what amazing friends we have. Our home was decorated with pink balloons and countless gifts. My best friend even took the recently delivered crib and assembled it for us while we were out. There is no doubt that Taylor is going to be loved, and we have no doubt that this miracle happened because of the thoughts and prayers of our amazing friends and family. We can't wait to share in the joy that Taylor brings to us - and you can bet that we plan on blogging about her first crawl, her first words, her first day of school, etc. We're excited to share with her the story of her birth mother and let her know how much everybody prayed for her to come into our lives.

29 comments:

Heidi said...

Congratulations!! That is so wonderful. What a doll!! I'm so happy for you guys!!

Lauren said...

she is AWESOME! You guys look like such a happy little family. We are so excited meet your little one.

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I am so excited for you. Congratulations!
What a journey this will be for you, your husband and little Taylor!
Again, congratulations and best of luck, I couldn't be happier for you!

Hilary

The Cooper Family said...

Jamie,

I am so excited for you! What a wonderful blessing she is! Please post lots of pictures for us all to see, and let me know when you will be in W.C. again, so that we can catch up and I can meet your new beautiful little girl!

filipinon said...

Beautiful story, nicely told. Congrats again and start considering expanding your hard drive space on your computer because before you know it there'll be hundreds of pictures and videos from your digital camera!!

Heidi Henderson said...

CONGRATS!!! They announced the news at work and I was so excited and went to read your blog, I cried. What an exciting time and heaven sent! It's amazing how Heavenly Father really does know us and the blessings he has for us in times we don't know about. Okay, that may have sounded all cheesy, but I am so excited for you guys! Congrats! You two will be the best parents! I know it!!! Thanks for your example!!!

Beckstrom Bunch said...

Congratulations!! I was in tears reading your post. I am so excited for your cute family. What an amazing blessing : )

Andrea said...

Hey Jamie! You don't know me--but I am Autumn's good friend from Iowa. She told me your wonderful news yesterday...and I haven't stopped thinking about you and your husbands new little miracle. Congratulations is not quite enough to express the joy and happiness you must both be feeling. There are a lot of new things to adjust to over the next few days, months, etc...but what a blessing these precious little babies are. I wish you both the best with your beautiful new baby girl!

Hillary said...

Wow Congrats Jamie, that is so wonderful. I love the name Taylor Anne, it is acually a name I thought of for a baby girl too (my middle name is Anne!) What an amazing a well deserved gift. I'll have to check in on your blog more now!!
Hillary

Chelsea said...

Congrats to you both!
What an amazing story. I loved reading about it. I am so excited for you guys!

Schiess Clan said...

Dustin and Jamie,

Congratulations you two... now three! What a lucky little girl to be born into a home with parents like you two. If she has the kind of love Quique has had she will be well taken care of! :) We need to get together shortly to meet your new little one. We wish you all the best in this wonderful new phase of life. Get ready for a love like you have never known!

Kevin and Lindsay

Tim and Jennie Lindstrom said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby, and such a blessing to your family!

Jamie, I was so excited this morning when I read your wonderful news... I found your blog awhile ago and had been meaning to say hi. I am so happy for you and know that little Taylor is going to bring so much joy into your lives!

I have a little something I want to send for Taylor, so could you email me your address. My email is jennieandtim2002@yahoo.com

Congratulations!
Jennie (Coffman) Lindstrom

Jacquie said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your new little Bundle of Joy! I am so excited for you and was in tears reading your blog knowing how thrilled you were. I was "on hold" for a long time on the phone and while I was waiting thought I would take a peek at your blog since I hadn't checked how your adoption process was going - what a thrill when I read "IT'S A GIRL"!!! I'll call Grandma Ann tonight to share my congrats...You and Dustin are going to be awesome parents - I can tell how Quique is spoiled...
Love, Grandma Jacquie

Abbie Le Qian said...

Jamie and Family:

From the Linne-Laughlin gang (http://abbieleqian.blogspot.com), we wish you a huge congratulations!! As an adoptive mom, I can feel your excitement as though I just brough Lucy and Abbie home yesterday. You are very blessed and have a beautiful family!

- Tracie and family

Brian "freaking" Robbins said...

Good job Tate's. I'd of picked you guys too. If I play my cards right, I might have to one day....


Seriously one of the coolest stories around, and you should probably keep your precious daughter some distance from the Robbins kids down the street....

Heather said...

Tate Family,

Congrats on the arrival of Taylor Anne. What an amazing story and a true blessing. I couldn't be more excited for the both of you since you are going to provide such a wonderful, loving home to your beautiful baby girl. Please come to California soon, so we can all meet her.

All my thoughts and prayers are with you during this exciting time.

Love,
Heather

Mark Robbins said...

family disneyland trip 2011.

The Tate Family said...

Dang it....I want to squeeze her! She is adorable! I am so excited for you guys and can't believe how quickly all of our prayers were answered. Don't let her grow up too fast, we still have to meet her!

Kyle, Adrienne and Hayden said...

Jamie and Dustin-

I just stumbled onto your blog and Kyle and I are SO happy for you! Taylor Anne was meant to be your little girl from the beginning.:) She is absolutely beautiful! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I can't wait to see more pics when life slows down for you guys! I knew things were going to work out for you guys!

Love ya,

Adrienne

Lizzy said...

i can't believe how cute she is. i am so happy for you guys. She is the luckiest baby to have you as her parents. you guys are amazing. love you!
Liz

The Halls said...

What can I say but YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so excited for you guys.She is beautiful and fits in perfect with the Tate clan! I love you both so much I just can't stand the fact that I can't jump on a plane and come see you !!! talk to you soon!

Derek and Mckenzie said...

Jamie, Dustin & Taylor-

I am sooo excited for the THREE of you it could not have happened to a better couple. Congratulations and we wish you the best of luck and we love you so much and can’t wait to watch her learn and grow. You guys are amazing people and grate parent’s congratulations again. Let us know if you need anything we are hear for you!

Love always
Derek & McKenzie Money

Kelley Hauck said...

I can't believe it-- and yet I can! Jamie, I am so happy for you. You will be a wonderful mom! I can't wait to meet your precious baby girl! Congratulations. Love you!

We are all "SPECIAL" said...

Jamie,
we are so happy for you guys!! Autumn told us your super exciting news!! Congratualtions!! I have always believed that babies have a way of finding their way "home" Matt and I couldn't be more excited for you!! Good luck with all the sleepless nights!! Congrats!

Elizabeth said...

tates!!
i'm so happy for you and i'm so happy i found your blog!
(this is elizabeth by the way)

congratulations!!!
i can't wait to meet that little thing!

Heidi said...

Hey Dustin and Jamie
It's Heidi (Peterson), I am so happy for you guys! That is absolutely awesome! CONGRATULATIONS! She is beautiful, enjoy every minute of it, it goes TOO fast!
Heidi

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Oh, She is just soooo cute. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you both. And yes, that sleeping schedule is a killer.

Zach said...

Congratulations Tate. I know that you will be a great dad to this little angel. I have three little gorls of my own, and they are so special. Good luck the first couple of months. The sleeping schedule does get better. Hopefully she is a good little sleeper and eater. Feliz dieciocho tambien.

Christianne said...

What a thrill! This baby couldn't be more fortunate. It is so fun catching up on your life! I ran into Mark and his family a few weeks ago and he filled me in a little, but seeing your little Taylor is way better than hearing about her. Hope you are loving every minute. You guys deserve it.

-Christianne-