Monday, August 4, 2008

The Phone Call

Dustin and I received an amazing phone call on Saturday night. Since anyone in the blogosphere can see this, I won’t use any names or locations.

On Saturday night, Dustin and I were getting ready to go over to a friend’s house for dinner. The phone rang and there was an out of state number, but not really a name, so I figured that it was a telemarketer. For some reason or another, I listened to see what the call was concerning. Girl A introduced herself letting us know that her friends was having a baby and that she wanted to place the baby for adoption, at that point it was like I couldn’t even believe my ears. I scrambled to the phone and Girl A informed me that her friend was in the hospital about to have a baby that she didn’t want. The girl went on to tell me she didn’t drink or use drugs, she just didn’t want the baby. Girl A had seen our profile online and had emailed us 15 minutes before. I was in shock, could this be for real? As I am listening to Girl A, Dustin comes into the room and looks at me funny because I am sure that my eyes were about ready to pop out of my head and my jaw had dropped to the floor. I pointed to the phone and mouthed BABY! I am sure that only confused him more. I got the number and name of her friend (Girl B) and immediately called our Social Worker. We aren’t even officially signed on with an agency since there is soooo much paper work to complete so I was like a deer caught in headlights.

After talking to our Social Worker, I called Girl B even though my heart was pumping a million miles a minute and I felt like I was ready to go through the roof. The number I got was for the hospital, all I could think was that this had to be the real deal. I asked for Girl B’s room. She answered and I let her know that Girl A had just called me and asking if she was still interested in placing her baby for adoption. By the time I called her, I am assuming that the hospital got involved and she already has something set up. It was a little sad for a moment, I felt that little ache in my heart because it seemed so within reach. But apparently, that was somebody else’s baby, not ours.

I tear up as I even think about this because it was such a magical experience! Dustin and I were both ready to jump on a plane and fly to that hospital. But even though it didn’t happen for us this time, it was certainly a wake up call. After I came down from my natural high, I realized that I didn’t even know what I was doing or how I was going to do it. We don’t even have a car seat yet! (Don’t worry, that’s on the “to do” list). But I truly believe that things in this world aren’t just coincidences. I am hoping that that was just a test to see how ready we were. I’m hoping that it was God’s ways of telling us you better get ready because your baby is coming soon. It made us realize that we could go to bed one night and come home with a baby the next. Whatever the case is, it made me realize how much I really do want this. It’s one thing to say it, but to be that close and to feel what I felt, I can’t deny that. I was ready for that baby to be a part of our family. I dream of the day when our baby is placed in my arms. I am sure that it will far exceed the joy I’m imagining right now.

5 comments:

The Tate Family said...

Jamie, WOW! I know it's coming soon for you guys! I can't wait to meet your little baby, as I am sure you can't wait even more, but hang in there, it's going to happen before you know it! We miss you guys and hope all is going well!
Love, Savanna

CVH said...

You two are really brave! You have had so many ups and downs, but it will all be worth it.
Cary

Heather said...

Jamie,

What an amazing story of your feelings and excitement. I've heard so many stories of how couples will get a call and within a day or so be on a plane to meet their baby. What an exciting time for the both of you! I can't wait to hear more as your journey becomes so close to become parents.

Love you!

Heather

thefonsecafamily said...

Hi Jamie,
I just wanted you to know that ever since you sent me the link to your blog, I check it faithfully to catch up on what is going on with you. I'm so excited for you as you embark on this new journey. You will make such a wonderful mother. Any child would be lucky to have you in their life. This most recent post gave me goosebumps. Just thinking of the anticipation you must be feeling brings a tear to my eye. You truly deserve every happiness, and I'll be praying for you regularly.

Love,
Amanda

P.S. Will you be in the Bay Area anytime soon? We have to meet next time you come for a visit.

JKAndrus said...

Jamie,
Wow, that truly is amazing how quickly your life can (and will change) maybe even when you least expect it. We would love to get together. Let me know when you're available for lunch. We are pretty flexible. 12:00 is always great because thats right in betweeen her naps. Talk soon!