Saturday, July 12, 2008

Trying to train

OK, so I'm trying to train for the triathlon, which is in two weeks. Here's my break-down of how I'm doing, and my main concerns:

Running: I don't love running, but a 10K is about my limit, and I think I'll be alright. My only concern right now is my IT band pains. It first hit me on the cruise after running on the tread mill, and when I got off at one of the ports, I felt this sharp pain on the side of my knee. I couldn't walk up and down. I found out that it wasn't really a knee injury, but the IT band, which is actually just a group of fibers running along the side of your thigh. So, I've gotten some insoles to help, I'm trying to stretch well with each work out - but I'm nervous, because they're still kind of hurting.

Swimming: And as much as I thought I hated running - it doesn't compare with how much I dislike swimming. I just suck at it. The ironic thing is that my wife is a swimming pro. She grew up racing, playing water polo, and competing in synchronized swimming. She's done work outs where she swam 10,000 yards- which I can't even imagine. So, Jamie's been trying to give me swimming lessons, with the kickboard and everything. I can't say that it's not just a bit humiliating. A friend of mine began training for a tri, and he went to the pool with a camcorder and asked the lifeguard to film him while he swam. So - at least I feel fortunate enough to have an in-house trainer.


Cycling: The bike training is going much better. I love being on the bike and I've been trying to push myself more so that I can make up some time after completing the mile swim in two hours (hopefully, I'm joking. I'm hoping I can do it in 45 minutes). I rode about 110 miles in the past 8 days, and today I did a bit less than 50. The ride itself wasn't too bad - but I had absolutely no energy in the last hour. I felt myself shaking while I was pedaling. I think I'm hypoglycemic - I need to eat before big work outs. I fainted one time at the gym when I attempted an early morning work-out without eating first. But I need to eat just to hang out - or else I get the hungry Tate syndrome where I hate everything and everybody. Those who know me can tell when I need to grab a bite, and after nearly six years, Jamie's learning to deal with hungry Tate reasonably well.
Anyway - I just wanted to show how the website works that I wrote about last time (it's pretty cool, huh?). This was my ride today:



I'm really looking forward to (1) the triathlon itself; and (2) being done with the triathlon. I'll do a nice post right afterwards, if I can move.

No comments: